Social media is now an integral part of brands’ and businesses’ marketing, but with so many different social channels to use, it can get confusing. Bronco have compiled a Social Media Cheat Sheet to ensure your images and videos are optimised to the correct sizes for each network.
When you’re running numerous social media accounts and having to create content for them, it can get quite confusing as to which size is needed for which social media site. You can’t just use an image with the same dimensions across every social network. Also you need to be aware of image and text placement and the amount of text you can use. As you can see, social media image sizing is not as simple as it may seem.
If you’re posting to multiple social media sites and find yourself getting confused differentiating image sizes between Google+ and Facebook. Struggling to know what’s best to post on Instagram and Twitter and have no clue what you’re meant to be posting on Snapchat? Worry not, we can help! We have produced a social media cheat sheet to use for reference. As you’ll see image dimensions vary according to where and how it’s shared. We look at all social sites, from cover photos, to timeline images, to profile pictures and everything in between.
All the social media specs you need to know in one handy place; print and keep, download and save, Pin to share or embed on your site.
Page cover photo
- 851×315 pixels on desktop
- 640×360 pixels on smartphones
- Minimum width 400 x 150 tall
- JPG’s and sRGB files load the fastest and keeping to less of 100 kilobytes.
Page cover video
- Format MP4
- Wide – 820 x 426 – tall
- Length 20-90 seconds
Page profile photo
- 170×170 pixels on desktop
- 128×128 pixels on smartphone
- 36×36 pixels on feature phones
- 1200×630 pixels
- 600×315 pixels minimum link images
- 16:9 or 9:16,
- Text 90 characters,
- File size up to 4 GB
Group cover photo:
- Promoting posts – images must contain <20% text
- Video’s – Native video auto plays in news feeds
- Did you know Facebook posts with images get more than double the engagement of basic text posts?
- Engage with fans on Facebook, encourage them to share their own photos of your products on your company page.
- 400×400 pixels displays 200×200 pixels
- 1024×512 pixels maximum
- 506×253 pixels in stream collapsed on desktop
Lead gen cards
- Keep details away from the lower left-hand side of your header photo
- You can add up to 4 images per tweet and tag unlimited people in images
- You can add one gif to a tweet or one social poll
- Your Twitter header and profile photo is the first opportunity to advertise your brand.
- Did you know Tweets with images get 150% more re-tweets and 18% more link clicks than those without?
- 2560×1440 pixels recommended for best results on desktop, mobile, and TV displays
- 1546×423 pixels safe area for text and logos
- max length – 11hrs, max file size – 128GB
- Resolution: 3840×2160 @ 2160p, 2560×1440 @ 1440p, 1920×1080 @ 1080p, 1280×720 @ 720
- 100 characters
- Video description
- 5,000 characters
- Ensure you choose relevant images for your video thumbnails. They don’t have to be a still from the video, it’s a great opportunity to drive traffic to your video.
Shared link image
- >506×284 max length 15mins
- Large images and media look best
- You can share your videos directly from YouTube if you connect the accounts
- If links have large images, they will be displayed as full width previews
- 15sec long max
- Links can only be added to profile, hyperlinks are not allowed in comments
- Make the most of Instagram multiple image option, create a gallery to showcase products or your brand.
- To increase visibility of your posts, make sure you include relevant hashtags. There is a limit of 30 hashtags per publication.
Pins in feed
- 564 pixels x adjusted to height.
Expanded pin size
- 735 pixels x adjusted to height.
Pin boards complete size
- Videos and gifs will play automatically when you expand the view
- Colours which get the most shares on Pinterest are images with red, purple, and pink hues.
Overview tab image
- YouTube, Instagram and Vimeo
- Animated gifs
- <1MB max width 540
- You can upload up to 10 photos or gifs into a photoset.
- You can paste an image’s URL from your site into the post form then the actual image appears in its place. The link will direct back to your site.
Infinite (new update)
- Tap the paperclip to attach a website to your snap, followers can swipe up to view. Great to direct traffic to products or competitions.
If you have found the cheat sheet helpful, why not share with your colleagues, friends and followers on social media and if you want to keep up to date with all social media changes and digital marketing news sign up for our newsletter below.